As you are now all aware, from 23:59 on Wednesday 4th November, the UK will once again enter a national lockdown. Whilst many of the previously imposed restrictions will return across the UK, there are some variable differences this time around; one of those differences will see Universities permitted to remain open.
As a result of this exception, Loughborough Students’ Union will remain open throughout the lockdown with some variations to our normal operations as we continue our work to support you throughout your time at Loughborough. At every stage in our planning for operations during lockdown we have sought to preserve the student experience, recognising the immense benefit that keeping LSU open will have on individuals who would otherwise be largely confined to their room or house.
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, our Sections at LSU have continued to be adapt and this situation will be no different. Our Executive Team and Student Leaders are working hard to ensure that LSU is continually able to provide a broad range of opportunities for our members outside of their academic studies, despite the ever-changing situation.
From 23:59 on Wednesday 4 November, all face-to-face student group activity is to cease. Virtual events and meetings can still go ahead and are actively encouraged. Officers will be publishing detailed guidance on how their section has adapted to the new restrictions via their respective social media channels, included below. Section-specific inquiries should be initially directed to the relevant email address.
- Societies: All student groups have been asked to move to a 100% virtual delivery of events and meetings.
Contact: Societies@lsu.co.uk || Facebook || Twitter
- Sport: All non-elite sport has been suspended, including within the Athletic Union - for a full statement from the Athletic Union, please refer to their dedicated channels.
Contact details: SportEO@lsu.co.uk or AUClubsOfficer@lsu.co.uk || Facebook || Instagram
- Action: The vast majority of Action Projects will cease to be delivered in-person, with the exception of our Soup Kitchen project and A and D-teams. These will continue with additional COVID-secure measures in place.
Contact details: Action@lsu.co.uk || Facebook || Twitter
- Rag: All Rag activity will transition to 100% virtual delivery.
Contact details: Rag@lsu.co.uk || Facebook || Twitter
- Media: Media activity will transition to 100% virtual delivery.
Contact details: Media@lsu.co.uk || Facebook || Twitter
- Enterprise: Enterprise will continue with the 100% digital program it has already been delivering. This includes Hackathons, Workshops, and 1-2-1 Virtual Advice Sessions with our team in Enterprise.
Contact details: Enterprise@lsu.co.uk || Facebook || Twitter
- Welfare & Diversity: Meetings of support groups remain exempt providing that these are run in a COVID-secure manner and do not have more than 15 individuals in attendance. Nevertheless, all events and meetings should take a ‘digital where possible’ approach.
Contact details: WelfareEO@lsu.co.uk || Facebook || Twitter
Department Committees, Peer Support, School Presidents, and Course Reps will continue to meet digitally.
Contact details: EducationEO@lsu.co.uk || Facebook || Twitter
- Academic Advice
LSU Advice will also remain accessible for all students, with online consultation and support available.
Contact Details: LSUAdvice@lsu.co.uk or LSULondonAdvice@lsu.co.uk
LSU Building and Services
We want to reassure you that the SU Building, and many outlets and spaces, remain open providing a safe, welcoming environment for you within the guidelines. Whilst our licensed trade activity will temporarily close throughout the lockdown period (including John Coopers Bar & Kitchen and The Socially Distanced Social Club), The Daily Grind will remain open for takeaway food and drinks and our retail outlets will continue to provide you with any essentials you may need should you require them.
Additionally, we will also be introducing a new 'Click & Collect Service' from The Union Shop.
We're living in unprecedented times and understand the stress and worry lots of you are facing when it comes to shopping. That’s why we’re delighted to be launching the ‘LSU Click and Collect’ Service- helping you get your hands on the essentials, from fruit and veg through to loo roll and soap. We've worked with our suppliers to find a great selection of fresh fruit and veg, household items, and more.
Simply pick your items, add them to your basket, and collect from the Union Shop.
A full list of our opening times can be found below:
- The Union Building Shop and Purple Onion Shop will remain open with slightly reduced opening hours.
Union Building Shop: Monday-Friday (10:30am-5.00pm) and weekends (12:00pm - 4:00pm).
The Purple Onion: Monday-Friday (11:00am-8:00pm) and Weekends (11:00am-9:00pm).
- The College Shop: Monday-Friday (10:00am-2:00pm)
- The Art Shop: Monday-Friday (10:00am-2:00pm)
- The Stash Shop: Closed until further notice. However, a range of university-branding clothing will be available within The Union Building Shop.
- The Daily Grind: Monday - Friday (8:30 am - 2:00 pm)
- Munch: Closed until further notice.
- Reception/Helpdesk: Will operate under reduced hours, 5 days a week (10:00 am – 2:00 pm)
New Study Spaces
We will also be opening up additional study space in Cogs. This is on a first-come, first-served basis and will be available for independent study (1 person per table).
We continue to work closely with the University regarding our response to COVID-19 and will provide continue to provide guidance through our social media channels and the ‘COVID-19 Hub’ on our website.
It is important that you continue to follow the government’s advice with regard to hands, face and space. You should also ensure you follow guidance around symptoms and continue to monitor the Loughborough University social media channels and website for key updates relating to campus.
If you leave your household, you must only meet one other person in an outdoor public place. Other than that, it is vital that you stay within your household or support bubble (if applicable). Clearly, there should be no parties or gatherings taking place on-campus or in the community. Please follow the rules in place to ensure the safety of everyone on campus and in our wider community - we will all get through this together if we all play our part.
The Executive Team will continue to be available throughout the next four weeks and you should have qualms in reaching out to any of us – you can view our full profiles on our website. We remain committed to providing you with opportunities to get involved, albeit predominantly digital, as well as supporting and representing your needs. This has not been a straightforward year and there will continue to be bumps in the road but the exemplary attitude you have shown so far is a testament to Loughborough and the wider community.
My (virtual) door always remains open and you should feel that you have every right to reach out, no matter how small or big you regard your inquiry.
As and when new guidelines are released, I will write to you again to update you on where LSU stands in its service provision. We look forward to welcoming you back to in-person activity, should restrictions permit, on 2nd December.